MANILA – Malacañang on Saturday said the government would continue its campaign against criminality and illegal drugs amid the slight increase in the number of people who have fallen victim to crime.
Around 1.4 million families or 6.1 percent said they were victims of common crimes in the past 6 months, higher than the 1.2 million families reported in June this year, a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey showed.
The figure is, however, the same as in the same period last year.
In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo assured the public that the government would not remain “complacent.”
“As PRRD (President Rodrigo Roa Duterte) said, his campaign against criminality and illegal narcotics shall be pursued until the last day of his term to ensure that our streets are completely safe from criminals, drug personalities and other rogue elements,” Panelo said.
The Palace also noted that while there was an increase in the number of Filipino families reporting crime victimization, the Duterte administration has made “significant strides” in curbing criminality and illegal drugs.
“Indeed, Filipinos now feel safer knowing fully well the government’s stance against criminals and drug pushers,” Panelo said.
Panelo also alleged that those who continue to criticize the President’s policies were “either people who are connected with illegal activities or politicians belonging to the opposition, as well as their blind followers, who cannot accept the feats of the government.”
Duterte has made the campaign against illegal drugs his administration’s main priority since assuming office in 2016.